Friday, February 20, 2015

Five for Friday: 2/20/2015

Woohoo!  Friday is finally here!  Why does it always seem like short school weeks feel longer than normal weeks?  Thankfully, Friday has arrived which means it is time for Five for Friday with Doodlebugs Teaching!

http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/2015/02/five-for-friday-linky-party-february_20.html

 We had a snowstorm on Sunday, more snow on Tuesday, another dusting late Wednesday night, and even more expected this Saturday.  I don't know about anyone else, but I am sick of snow!

winter in new england

We sent home our March calendars to our students today.  Thinking about March has me dreaming about springtime.  I can only hope that it is right around the corner!

I teach several different English classes, and our curriculum has us alternate between writing units and grammar units. {However, I try to add in lots of writing during the grammar units too.}  Anyway, my 6th grade English class is in the middle of writing research reports on historical places. 

writing a research report

We used library books to do research on note cards, wrote an outline, and are currently working on writing our rough drafts.  {This has to be my least favorite unit that I have to teach. Hopefully we will be done soon.}




On the other hand, my 3rd grade class just finished writing Compare/Contrast essays.  This is a unit that I always enjoy.  We have been reading Roald Dahl books recently so we wrote about characters from his stories.  Not only did they turn out great, but I feel like using information from books we have read made the writing process even easier.  {I am going to write more about our Compare and Contrast essays tomorrow so check back then to find out more!}


I don't know if all of you have heard, but Educents has decided to let teachers open storefronts similar to TeacherspayTeachers.  It is a completely new program they are rolling out soon. I have been busy setting up my store and uploading products for sale. If you haven't signed up for Educents yet, they are also offering a free $10 credit right now. {That's like $10 worth of free teaching products!!}  You can get your $10 coupon by clicking here: Educents coupon
Also feel free to stop by and check out my new storefront!

http://www.educents.com/fun-and-learning-at-bba


My friend Kristin over at My Carolina Classroom is having a huge giveaway for her blogiversary!!

http://www.mycarolinaclassroom.blogspot.com/2015/02/blogiversary-giveaway.html

 She is giving away over $180 worth of teaching products {including some TPT gift certificates}!  The giveaway is only open until Saturday, so don't forget to stop by and enter.  In fact, you may want to go there right now!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Roald Dahl! Matilda was my absolute favorite book as a kid, and we just finished reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in my classroom! I love how much the kiddos laugh at his writing :)

    Happy Weekend!

    Nicole (Why Pencils Have Erasers)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Roald Dahl and learned a lot about him to teach my kids about Author's Perspective. Did you know that he lived in the same town as the Cadbury Factory and the president used to come to the school and the kids got to test the new chocolates for him! When I discovered this it gave me a whole new view about Willy Wonka and Charlie! Talk about perspective! I wrote a post about it on my blog. I will tell you, I lived in Connecticut during the '78 blizzard and it was the BEST week of a kid's life! Now I freeze in Florida when it gets in the 60's! This morning it was 31!! We were MISERABLE!!!
    Julie from The Best Days!
    http://classroombestdays.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Roald Dahl book study will definitely be something your students will remember! I'm a first grade Special Education teacher, but just started working with a 3rd grade reading intervention group this year for one hour per day. I ♥ it! Thanks for the information on Educents...I signed up for something with them awhile back and need to go back and reread! Have a super week, Jen

    ReplyDelete